Monday, July 27, 2009

From two weeks ago!...

This week I had a visitor! I enjoy having people over because that way I don’t have to talk to myself!

Last semester when taking Organic Chemistry, Carsten Hamann (my lab partner) told me that he was going to be working in Sweeden during the summer. Well I did not know exactly when he was coming but he sent me an email on Monday saying he was coming on Tuesday. Well I got off work and biked to the train station, there he was waiting. We wanted to go to castles but when we got to Bingen I showed him the Germania statue across the river and the gondolas that take you up there and I asked if he wanted to go there to the castles? He said that either one was fine with him. We decided to get off the train and go to Rudesheim (Across the Rhine rive, from Bingen). We took the ferry, crossed the river, walked around Rudesheim and went up to the Germania statue in the gondolas. It was a really nice view from there. We walked through the vineyards on the way back, we ate a ton of berries on the way down to Rudesheim. We crossed in the ferry again and came back to Ingelheim.

Wednesday, we had agreed that he would go to Koblenz and that I would meet him there after work. I took the train at 4:00pm and got there at 5:00pm. Carsten had mentioned about getting a haircut, but I did not think he would get it somewhere around here nor he would shaved his head!!! Haha. So I got to the train station, he was waiting downstairs. I could hardly recognize him, he looked very different with no hair! Haha. He tried to get me to shaved my head too, I refused the whole time, no way I would ever ever do that I think. Well we walked to where the Mosel and the Rhine meet, it is a pretty cool place. Then we saw the castle on the other side of the river and decided to cross. This took forever cause we had to walk back towards the train station (30 min) then cross the bridge (15 min) then to the castle (30 min) we did not know how to get there. So we had to climb walls, cross the train tracks and just climb more! We also trespassed to go into a fortress.

On our way there we saw this tunnel (like a water drain) it was really small but we knew we would fit there so we went in, we crawled til we got to the end. We took our cameras inside because it was so dark that we couldn’t see anything. The camera flashes helped a lot. While being in there, I heard people talking outside, we had left our bags out there but I didn’t think someone would take them, plus I yelled: HELLO! When I heard them talking. Well I decided to go back out just in case. I making my way out by crawling really fast, I was almost out when I hit my head against the bricks and it hurt a lot, I bounced back and sat there while having feeling a bit disoriented. Well, I soon recovered and kept crawling cause all I could think was: my bag, my passport, my rail pass, my money, my wallet, Carsten’s bag, his apple laptop, his passport and everything. So I made it out of the tunnel and the bags were not there. My north face jacket was there but nothing else. I looked around, this place was right next to the river and there is only one path that takes you there so there was no way someone could run that fast and disappear with the bags. I saw them right away, they were walking away with our bags, I RAN and got said: excuse me!!! Then they said: oh yeah we grabbed them because it is not normal to see bags by themselves. They said they were going to take them somewhere (this was all in german, so I didn’t understand where they were planning on taking them) but I will assume that the jacket did not fit here and that the bags were cool so they were going to end up in their house!

That was sooo close! AGH! Well it was fun, after that experience we walked towards the castle and we had to climb a wall, then cross a lot of train tracks and just a lot of things. We finally made it up to the Festung Ehrenbreitstein (the castle), there is a nice restaurant with an awesome view. We, well Carsten, got food there and I tried the Riesling wine. The most famous wine in by the Rhine, I live in Ingelheim which is by the Rhine and I was not going to live this enchanting place without trying the wine from this region. It was pretty good, it was a bit sweet, so it was not trocken (dried) which was good.

I had a ton of fun, since I haven’t gone exploring and trespassing and climbing since I got to Europe because I hadn’t have the chance but now I sit here with a big bump on my head. Every time I make a face expression I can feel it and it hurts. My legs have given up so I stayed at the apartment today (Thursday, July 16th).













No comments: