Thursday, July 9, 2009

Weekend in Switzerland with Michelle

Sometimes I forget why I am here! I think I missed the part in the contract where it says: “Mondays are weekdays and not part of weekends”. I say this because every Monday I feel like I should go back to bed. I have been traveling every weekend since the day I activated my eurorail pass. Sundays are always the same, I get back at around 11:30pm, and Monday I wake up at 6:30am to go to work.

Last Friday, my lab partners and I went and visited a pilot plant, one out of like 20, here in the company. I saw about 20 reactors in there, and that was only a small plant the guide said. They had raw materials, APIs (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient) among other things. I got to see some 10,000€ distillation columns, and reactors made out of different materials. Unfortunately the tour was in German so I got a summary version of it which was translated by Barbara, one of my lab partners.

Saturday I went to visit Michelle in Switzerland and we had a ton of fun. We walked around lake Zurich and the city itself. On Saturday I saw these two kids jumping into the lake from a bridge (I actually don’t think this is allowed), I thought it was sooo cool and wanted to do it right away. I was wearing dressy shorts and a tank top and I was sooo temped to just jump into the lake with all of my clothes. Michelle decided she wanted to do it as well, so we concluded to go back there on Sunday morning.

On Sunday the water was warmer than on Saturday so it was perfect. Michelle decided she wanted to go first, I am glad she did, because I was nervous and she wasn’t! so I let her go first, she jumped and I laughed really hard! Then it was my turn, I stood right at the edge and while looking down I was tempted to say: “I don’t want to do it anymore” haha. It was approximately 12 feet jump which is not that high at all but I get scared when doing things like this.

After jumping into the lake, Michelle and I went back to the hotel to take a shower and change. On the way to Switzerland I saw the Rhine waterfalls, which are actually the biggest waterfalls in Europe. I told Michelle I wanted to go there, so we did. We took the train to Shaffhousen, then to Neuhausen and walked for 25 min in a trail by the Rhine. It was beautiful, it was just amazing! We took a ton of pictures and we had a lot of fun.

It wasn’t much fun to leave Michelle though, I had seen her two weekends in a row, in different countries and it was just hard to say bye. I miss her a LOT.
Switzerland is a beautiful and expensive place, I want to come back and tour Switzerland someday.

No comments: