Friday, August 7, 2009

Last weekend

I left work on Wednesday and off to Munich. I had been waiting for this soccer game all summer long, FC Bayern Munich-AC Milan and Manchester United-Boca Juniors. Got to Munich, quickly found the hostel and started walking to the tram station to go to the stadium. I was all by myself in this big city so I decided to be friendly and make friends.

I made friends on my way to the soccer game, I don’t remember their names but they were from US and had internships in Berlin, all engineering, chemistry related so we had a great time. We got to the stadium, sat on the stairs because there were no more empty chairs. I soon left and sneaked into the 60€ section. I started painting my face with the FC Bayern colors. I was sitting right behind the players. I decided to call my dad and tell him to look for me on TV because I was for sure gonna get on no matter what! Well sure enough, some players were about to go in the game, as I was talking to my dad, he says: “THERE YOU ARE!! WAVE!!!” I didn’t know where the camera was, since there were many in front of me. Well I started waiving everywhere and got my parents excited, since they haven’t seen me for a while… Well they got to see me on TV! The game was a blast, I got Van Gaal’s autograph (The FC Bayern trainer) and I got to be on TV not once but many times, they even took pictures of myself! (This had happened before 3 years ago when I went to the Barcelona game in CA)

I was exhausted after the game, it took forever to get out the stadium, there were too many people and we were all over each other in the tram… I made it back to the hostel and had a great night, my roommates were a mom and her two kids so it was nice.

Off to Salzburg in Austria the next morning, it was only 7:00am and I was already at the train station. Salzburg is a nice little place, famous because Mozart was born there and he spent a lot of his years in that town. I walked around the entire city, went up to the fortress in a hill. I could hear music everywhere, there was someone playing a guitar, a violin, a harmonica, and many other instruments in every corner. I was tired by the end and decided to go to Berchtesgaden, my destination for the night and the next day.

Berchtesgaden is located at the very south of Germany, it is right by the Alps and you could see all the mountains when going in the train to this town. It was a 30 min walk to the hostel, this being uphill! I checked in, left my stuff at the hostel and decided to go for a walk around the town. I was once again walking around a town by myself, I wanted a picture by the mountains so I asked this couple who seemed nice, and I ended up making friends with them. Phil and I don’t remember her name, they were from the States, (California, and Chicago)! haha. My plan was to go to eagle’s nest the next morning, come back and go back to Ingelheim. Well that was not quite what happened. I did get up at 6:30am to go to Eagle’s nest, the couple I had met the night before were going to take the same bus up the hill with me at 9:00am so we met at the train station.

Eagle’s nest was Hitler’s holyday house, he got it n his 50th birthday and there is an elevator that takes you up into the house, and there is also a path that you could take to go up the house. This is the path the American soldiers took when they found this place. I walked up the path on the way there because the elevator was not working, and took the elevator on the way down when I was working.

It was sooo disappointed being up on the eagle’s nest and not being able to see ANYTHING!!! Not even 10 ft away from me. It was soo foggy and cloudy, I wanted to cry. I love the mountains, that is one of my favorite things in the entire world and wanted to see the Alps from the prettiest view you could get of the Alps from Germany and not being able to I just wanted to scream and cry. Everyone has to pay 15€ to go up there, cause the bus is owned by a private company, so I basically wanted to throw myself down the hill where all I could see was pitch white! I was so high up there in the Alps and I wasn’t getting what I wanted to. Disappointed of the situation, went down to Berchtesgaden, I was at the train station wondering if anyone knew what the weather was going to be like for the next day.

I found an information point across the street and went there, they said the next day was supposed to be a beautiful 82F degree sunny day. At this point, turned around, and walked in the opposite direction of the train station, I was walking to back to the hostel I had stayed at the night before! Call me crazy or something, but I was melting to see this view from the Eagle’s nest. They did have a bed for the night (The same bed I used the night before) , so I booked another night and made friends with two other girls staying there.

I walked to the koningsee lake that day, and this added 10km to my shoes! I was dead tired after doing this, my legs were giving up and all I needed was sleep. This lady was snoring at night and it took me 2 hours to fall sleep! Not even my ipod could block her snores! It was crazy, I wanted to throw a tomato I had gotten as part of breakfast for the next day! I was soo upset at this lady that I really wanted to throw something at her! Haha but I was nice and I didn’t.

Another night at the hostel, another early morning, another bus ride and NO! I didn’t pay 15€ again, I cheated the system. I was planning on walking for 2 hours, because I did not wanted to pay again, I pretended like I stood in line to buy the ticket, pulled out my ticket from the day before (I am sure God loves me soo much, since they actually hadn’t ripped my ticket at the entrance of the bus the day before, like they normally do).. I got in the bus, and they ripped it, I totally got in like if nothing had happened. They driver had seen me “buying” the ticket, so why was he going to check on the date right?

Eagle nest’s view was the most amazing view I have ever seen in my life, I saw the Watzmann mountain, I saw Salzburg from far away, I saw everything I could see! The sun was shining, it was a hot day, it was a wonderful day. I was once again in the Eagle’s nest. I sat on this bench for about 30 min, staring at the Alps, thinking about everything I had gone through to get to this place. My friends from the hostel were going to meet me there later one, so they did, we had a great time. I told myself I would come back and hike up the Watzmann someday. It is only 8 hours to get there, so why not do it right?

My determination to reach what I want had once again won the battle, I got on TV with a painted face, I got Van Gaal’s autograph, I went to the Eagle’s nest twice! I had gotten what I wanted.

Last week I got asked about what the best place I had gone this summer was and I couldn’t answer, cause I thought all the places were great! But now If I had to answer that question again, no doubt, it would definitely be this one, the Alps.











No comments: