Monday, August 3, 2009

One week left of work!

I have been working on a new project at work. A project that no one in the lab has ever done before, last time this process was made was nine years ago, and it was made by another department at Boehringer Ingelheim. I started this project on Monday and it has been a lot of fun, enjoyment and excitement, except for one little thing, the smell. We never know what is going to happen when we add something else, we don’t know how reactive the substance is going to be.

I was adding E-Wasser once, and the temperature rose from 45C to 90C in about 5 seconds, it started boiling and the temperature was still going up, I called Mrs. Kröber and she quickly ran to get ice. I have been mixing, stirring, distilling, heating, crystallizing, vacuuming, rinsing and drying my substance. It all started with 1-Napthyalmine and this is a really smelly substance, I have actually gained the “Stinky Diane” title at work. Yikes! Haha

This project consists on an impurity, so basically I am making an impurity for analyzing, updating methods. I enjoy it a lot though, it has been like putting all of my Organic Chemistry abilities in practice, and it has been great.



No comments: