Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Luxembourg, Brussels, Rotterdam and Delft

I have been wanting to stop by Luxembourg and Bruxelles. My cousin lives in Delft, The Netherlands, my cousin Liliana, his sister, is visiting him this month so I decided to go over the weekend and say hi.

I took Friday off from work because I urgently needed to see Luxembourg and Bruxelles, so I did. Friday was a very exhausting day, I walked for about 12 hours. I saw the places I wanted to see in Luxembourg, I even had time to go into the case mates and they were awesome, I made it out of them without getting lost! The casemates are underground tunnels that that run for about 17 km. Of course I didn’t walk for 17 km… I stopped by a shop to buy a postcard and send it to my family, and I ended up making friends with the girl from the shop, she was really nice, she asked if I was traveling alone. This question shocked me for some reason, I realized that most of the trips I have done, I have been with someone, but not this time. I was in Luxembourg, going to Burxelles and then to Delft, all by myself.

I enjoy train rides, and I have counted how many hours I have spent on trains, it adds up to 99 hours now! That is soo crazy! My train ride to Brussels was not enjoyable at all. I was sitting on the train, people were still boarding, there were many seat still available. This guy came and sat right in front of me, I almost wanted to leave because I don’t like sitting in front of people. Well I decided to be polite and stayed on my seat. He asked where I was from, I said El Salvador, so he started speaking Spanish, he was getting on my nerves with all of his questions. I was just annoyed and wanted to leave, he told me all the possible phrases that a typical Mexican (sorry if there are any Mexicans reading this) would say to a girl, I hated it. I was soo tired from walking in Luxembourg and all I wanted to do was sleep, but I couldn’t cause this creepy guy was probably going to take a picture of myself. I tried sooo hard to keep my eyes open, and failed once for about 5 seconds. I woke up and there he was staring at me, it was disturbing! I was counting every single second for the train ride to be over, and he was counting but in sadness, he would say! He asked for a picture but I refused and said I don’t like giving pictures to strangers… The train ride was finally over so I quickly got out the train and left, worst train ride ever, it is not fun to hear the most stupid “piropos” ever, I just wanted to punch him, I was really upset.

Well I tried to forget all about the train ride and enjoy my time in Brussels, the capital of the European union, I saw the main places, but I literally had to run to get to places. I saw the maneken peeing, the main palace, the town square, and the Atonium. I was really disappointed when I went into a souvenirs shop to look for a map and asked: Where is the atonium? He said, ohh that is far from here, 20 min in tram! He advised me not to go it, since I only had 4 hours in town. I am a disobedient person sometimes, and being a chemical engineering major, of course I went and saw the giant Fe atom! It is in the same family of my favorite element, Copper! So why not a quick visit to the cousin right!? Haha…

Brussels was a busy city, not very clean but ok to see. Luxembourg was really clean, calm and quiet. I spent the rest of my time in Delft, Friday and Saturday night. We went to Rotterdam with my cousins because there was a big festival , we had a lot of fun. We all decided to take a nap by the harbor in Rotterdam in some benches, and as I was sleeping this guy came and started playing the guitar, right next to me. I jumped, I was not expecting a “serenata” haha…

That was the weekend in Luxembourg, Brussels, Rotterdam and Delft. I had a great time!


















2 comments:

Lerae said...

Here are my favorite things about this post:

1. The piropos guy... hahaha. Are Mexicans really worse when it comes to piropos? I know some Guatemalans that are pretty bad, too...

2. That you went to visit your favorite element's cousin. Hahaha, oh Diane. You're such a geek.

3. That you slept on a bench.

Oh Diane, te quiero. You make me laugh so much.

D. Stephanie Holton said...

hahaha!! no the piropos guy was absolutely awful!!! Actually I think this guy was worst than Mexicans!!!
I needed to visit the cousin you know!!
And the sleeping on a bench was wonderful! haha I looked like homeless probably! haha